Is a scrapbooking hobby right for you? I will give you some reasons why scrapbooking makes a great hobby. I will also tell you the cons. In the end, you will have all the info you need to decide if this hobby is for you.
First, what is scrapbooking?
According to Wikipedia... Scrapbooking is a method for preserving a legacy of written history in the form of photographs, printed media, and memorabilia contained in decorated albums, or scrapbooks.
I think that is a great definition. Wow, if scrapbooking is your hobby, you are preserving a legacy of written history. That sounds important, doesn't it?
- Everyone else is doing it! - Well, not quite everyone. According to the craft and hobby association, one in three households has a scrapbooker in it. That makes scrapbooking more popular than golf. A golfer is found in one out of every four households.
Ok, just because so many people are doing something is not a great reason for you to start. But it does mean that there are a lot of people out there to help you get started.
- Precious Memories - My memory stinks. That's one of the main reasons why I love to scrapbook. There is so much of my childhood that I can't remember. I have pictures from when I was a kid, but pictures only do so much. Most of them don't even have the year or location of where they were taken. That's why a scrapbook is great. You have the pictures, but you also have your thoughts and memories to go along with them. A well designed scrapbook page will help you relive those precious memories over and over again.
You know the old saying... that a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, then a scrapbook page must be worth a million.
- Future Generations - Most of us think in the here and now, not about the future. When you create a scrapbook, you are recording your life for your posterity. With acid free and archival quality products your scrapbook pages could last well over a hundred years.
That means someday your great-great-grandchildren could be holding your scrapbook in their hands. To me that is a truly awesome concept... to know that I am documenting a little piece of history for my posterity. A scrapbooking hobby is truly a hobby that will be rewarding and appreciated for years to come.
- Build Friendships - There are a ton of scrapbooking groups for you to join. It is a great way to meet others in your area. Scrappers get together to crop together. We call them crop parties. You get together with your friends, usually on a monthly basis, to create scrapbook pages.
Going to crop parties is a great way to get your scrapbooking hobby started. Others will share their tips and ideas with you.
If you don't know where to find a local cropping group, then start one of your own. A great way to get friends together is to contact a Creative Memories Consultant . You invite your friends to your party. They each bring some photos to crop. The consultant teaches everyone how to create a scrapbook page. And by the end of the night everyone has a page to take home. Hopefully, some of your friends will start a scrapbooking hobby of their own.
Now for the Scrapbooking Cons
- All That Stuff - Just like most hobbies, you will need tools and supplies to get the job done. The longer you scrapbook, the more "stuff" you will acquire. So, you will need someplace to put all of your scrapbook supplies.
You also need a place to scrapbook. It is best if you have a room, or at least a desk, dedicated to your scrapbooking hobby. Then you don't have to drag your supplies out every time you want to make a page.
If you are already tight on space, figure out where your scrapbooking station will be before you get started with this hobby.
An alternative to all the stuff is to digital scrapbook. All you need then is your computer and a good software program, such as Photoshop Elements.
- Scrapbooking Hobby is Expensive - This isn't entirely true. It can be expensive, but you can also be a frugal scrapper. All the fancy tools are not necessary. They may make the process easier and add some cool effects, but you can make great pages with just the basics.
Scrapbooking is so popular that you can find supplies at discount stores like Walmart. Even dollar stores now sell scrapbook supplies. I just bought a bundle of supplies at a garage sale.
You can share tools with your scrapbook friends. If your friend has a circle cutter, then you buy an oval cutter. Then everyone at your crop party has a bigger selection of tools to use.
- Too Busy to Scrapbook - That is the excuse... I mean reason for so many things we can't find time to do. This is one hobby where the time you spend doing it will be greatly rewarded. Not just for you and your children, but even your children's grandchildren will enjoy the pages you create.
The key is to set aside time on a consistent basis for your scrapbooking hobby. You need to decide how often it will be. Then pencil it in on your calendar, just like you would a doctor's appointment.
Another great way to make the time to scrapbook is to have a group of fellow scrappers that will encourage you to scrap.
- Not Creative - You may think you don't have a creative bone in your body. That's ok. Anybody can learn how to scrapbook. The easiest way to start is to look at pages others have created. Choose some pages that visually appeal to you. Then, model the placement of their items on your scrapbook page. After a while, you will get the hang of it.
Return from Scrapbooking Hobby to The Baby Scrapbook Place Homepage