2007 World Facts for
Your Baby's Scrapbook
Are you looking for 2007 world facts to help you fill out your baby's memory book? You have come to that page in the baby book where you are suppose to fill out all these statistics about the year your baby was born.
If your like most moms, you are too busy to remember what was the best selling book of the year and you have no clue on how much you use to spend for a loaf of bread.
That's ok. This page is filled with the facts to help you complete that baby book page.
Once you have the facts, take a look at the baby scrapbook ideas article for creating a layout on what baby's world was like when he was born.
Top 10 News Stories of 2007 according to Time.com
Transition to Pakistan - The tensions in Pakistan had been building all year, and President General Pervez Musharraf was getting it from all sides. The Taliban gradually solidified control in the northwest of the country, and Islamic extremists, who had holed up in Islamabad's Red Mosque, led to a violent standoff in July. Read the rest of the Time article.
The Mortgage Crisis - The housing bubble finally burst, big time. Defaults on subprime mortgages — high and adjustable-interest rate home loans for people who don't qualify for the lowest market rates — had been rising slowly for a couple of years and by this summer were up 93% from the year before. Read the rest of the Time article.
The Saffron Protests - It was the junta-led government's decision to raise the price of fuel — and, therefore, the costs of transportation and food staples like rice and cooking oil — that sparked the largest protests in Burma, also known as Myanmar, in August and inspired monks to take to the streets en masse a month later. Read the rest of the Time article.
Goodbye, Harry Potter - On July 21 the seventh and final book,Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, from the Harry Potter series was released. Read the rest of the Time article.
Petraeus Under Fire - Shortly after naming Gen. David Petraeus the top commander in Iraq, President Bush announced plans to send in an additional 20,000 troops to quell the sectarian fighting. Read the rest of the Time article.
Chinese-Made Toy Recal It started in June with Thomas the Tank Engine, but soon after, many more toy-chest favorites had been implicated: Big Bird, Elmo, Barbie, Dora the Explorer — even the Easy Bake Oven. More than 20 million toys, all made in China, were recalled for containing lead paint or loose magnets — or giving some kids third-degree burns (the oven). Read the rest of the Time article.
The Virginia Tech TragedyAt around 7 a.m. on April 16, Cho Seung-Hui shot two students in a dorm at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. While police searched for a suspect, Cho went calmly to a post office and mailed his multimedia manifesto to NBC News. Read the rest of the Time article.
Stem Cell BreakthroughIn November, two groups of scientists in Japan and Wisconsin announced that they had found a way to reprogram human skin cells to behave like embryonic stem cells — without having to make or destroy any embryos. Read the rest of the Time article.
Bonds Breaks a Record — Gets Indicted - With his 756th long ball during a home game against the Washington Nationals on Aug. 7, Barry Bonds surpassed Hank Aaron's record to become the new home-run king. Read the rest of the Time article.
iPhone Mania - Steve Jobs dramatically unveiled the iPhone on Jan. 9, along with the sad news that it wouldn't be available for ... Six. More. Months. By the time the combo phone-iPod-PDA- camera-computer hit Apple and AT&T stores on June 29, the frenzy had reached a fever pitch, and customers waited in line to snap up the 200,000 units made available. Read the rest of the Time article.
World Leaders during 2007
- President George W. Bush - USA
- Prime Minister Gordon Brown - United Kingdom
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper - Canada
- President Hu Jintao - China
- President Pratibha Patil - India
- Prime Minister John Howard - Australia
- President Nicolas Sarkozy - France
- President Vladimir Putin - Russia
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei - Iran
- President Horst Koehler - Germany
Top Grossing Movies of 2007:
1. Spider Man 3
2. Shrek the Third
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. I Am Legend
7. The Bourne Ultimatum
8. National Treasure: Book of Secrets
9. Alvin and the Chipmunks
Best Selling Books of 2007 and number of copies sold:
Source: Publishers Weekly
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by Rowling, J.K. 7,740,000
2. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, 2,947,000
3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, 2,015,000
4. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, 1,377,000
5. The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden, 963,000
6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, 960,000
7. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, 913,000
8. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, 866,000
9. The Road by Cormac McCarthy, 736,000
10. You: On a Diet by Mehmet C. Oz and Michael F. Roizen, 689,000
Top Paid Actors of 2007
Source: Access Hollywood
1. Johnny Depp
2. Will Smith
3. George Clooney
4. Matt Damon
5. Denzel Washington
Top Paid Actresses of 2007
1. Cameron Diaz
2. Keira Knightley
3. Jennifer Aniston
4. Reese Witherspoon
5. Gwyneth Paltrow
79th annual Academy Awards Winners
Best Motion Picture: "The Departed"
Lead Actor: Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"
Lead Actress: Helen Mirren, "The Queen"
Most Watched Television Shows of 2007
1. American Idol - Wednesday
2. American Idol - Tuesday
3. Dancing with the Stars - Monday
4. Dancing with the Stars - Tuesday
5. Sunday Night Football
7. Grey’s Anatomy
8. Samantha Who?
10: CSI: Miam
Top Ten Most Downloaded Songs of 2007:
Source: Yahoo Music blog the Y! Radish.
1. Mika - Grace Kelly
2. Rihanna - Umbrella
3. The Fray - How To Save A Life
4. Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
5. Plain White Ts - Hey There Delilah
6. Kanye West - Stronger
7. Kate Nash - Foundations
8. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
9. Sugababes - About You Now
10. Take That - Shine
Top Ten Highest Paid Athletes of 2007:
1. Tiger Woods
2. Oscar De La Hoya
3. Phil Mickelson
4. Shaquille O'Neal
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Lebron James
7. Kevin Garnett
8. Derek Jeter
9. Alex Rodriguez
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Sports Champions for 2007
Superbowl Winner - Indianapolis Colts
World Series Champions - Boston Red Sox
Stanley Cup - Anaheim Ducks
NBA Champions - San Antonio Spurs
Common Costs and Statistics for 2007:
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics unless noted
Is there something you would like to see added to the 2007 world facts list?
- Loaf of White Bread - $1.21
- One Dozen Grad A Large Eggs - $1.68
- One Gallon Whole Milk - $3.50
- One Pound of Bananas - $.51
- One Gallon Unleaded Gasoline - $2.80
- One Pound of Ground Beef - $2.70
- Cost of one First-Class Stamp - $.41
- Cost of Movie Ticket - $6.88 (source: National Association of Theater Owners)
- Average Price New Car - $28,200
- Average Price of a New Home - $313,600 (source: US Census Bureau)
- College Education: Private - $23,660 per year, Public: $6,164 per year. (source: collegeboard.com)
- Estimated U.S. Population - 301,290,332 (source: US Census Bureau)
- Estimated World Population - 6,625,000,000 (source: World Population Data Sheet)